About Our Last Best West Hats
Quality beaver and beaver blend cowboy hats, dress hats and fedoras from the last best west
Made to order. Made to last. Made in America.
We are a family owned and operated business, and unlike most hat and leather sellers on the Internet, we make and sell our own hats and leather, not resell someone elses, or import them from overseas. We make museum quality hats and custom leather and our hard wearing cowboy gear is renowned for its on trail performance. ~ Testimonials
What does custom mean?
We allow clients to switch hatbands and request different crown and brim dimensions. As well you get your name stenciled on the sweatband inside the hat, telling the world you have a custom hat.
The prices listed are for hats as they are shown. Any changes simply enter them in the PRODUCTION NOTES section of the order. Once your order comes in we will clearly mark any changes and email you a PRODUCTION RECEIPT to confirm. ~ OUR HAT EXPERT
We constantly get asked if we can make an EXACT replica of a particular hat. The answer is no. Realistically no one can. Our quality hats are made, formed, shaped by hand, not a machine. When anything is made by hand there are bound to be slight variations. Not even the original master hatter could make one EXACTLY the same. We make our version of that hat.
All our hats are unique, one-of-a-kind, hand crafted fur-felt art. Order yours today.
About Beaver Fur Felt
All our hats are made with beaver fur felt which is dense and virtually waterproof. It consists of beaver and/or rabbit/hare fur blended with felt to produce a material that lasts 5-10 times longer than wool-felt. A fine Beaver and Beaver blend fur-felt hat body holds its shape wonderfully and is one of the finest’s material from which to manufacture quality working hats.
In theory a higher beaver content should be denoted by a higher X factor – but unfortunately there is no standard within the hat making fraternity – and a lot of confusion. On the Internet few hat sellers tell you what their fur-felt is comprised of – not to mention that we have even seen straw hats promoted as 100 or 1000X.
As a general rule of thumb if a hat maker just describes their hat bodies as fur-felt, chances are it’s rabbit or hare. Hat makers who use beaver fur-felt are proud of it and will state so.
We sell 3 quality beaver blends for our fine western hats – 5X, 20X and 100X. 5X is a blend of about 5% beaver with rabbit and felt. Our 20X is 50% beaver and our 100X is pure 100% beaver fur-felt.
For an all weather hat you can’t beat a pure beaver cowboy hat. Light, stiff and fabulous looking it’ll shed what ever comes its way. And consider this: Beavers live in the water, rabbits in the dirt.
From the materials to the workmanship, you won’t find a better hat anywhere, at any price. We don’t make promises – like all real cowboys we believe that just saying a thing is promise enough.
Crown and Brim Measurements
We make custom cowboy hats so the crown and brim measurements are pretty much redundant. The hats you see online are our standard hats, if you want a specific crown and brim height we will confirm that after your order is received. But please bare in mind that the dimensions done on any particular hat style are done to maximize the look of that particular crown shape. Shortening the crown may affect the fit or way the crown is creased.
We can make up to a six (6″) inch crown and a five (5″) brim.
Any hat with a brim width of more than 4 inches we must start with an over sized hat body, which adds a little to the cost. Most of our cowboy hats have a crown height between 5 and 6 inches and a brim width of 3 1/2 to 4 inches. Some hat styles with a wider brim include the Wasey, Quigley, Everett Hitch, Little J, and all our B-Movie hats.
Made to order. Made to last.
Made in America by the Cowboys from The Last Best West
Our hand-made Cowboy hats ship in 6-8 weeks. Overseas buyers read this
PLACING YOUR ORDER
- Know or find out your hat size (Click for instructions)
- Determine color. Click for our Color Choices. Color variances caused by individual computer monitors are beyond our control.
- We are an Internet based business. We ask that all customers have an e-mail address, so that you are able to receive and confirm the details of your hat order. Thank-you for helping us serve you better.
- We will be happy to answer your questions, when you place your phone order by calling 1.866.207.1909. We can accept Visa and MasterCard cards over the phone. Once your order is received, you will be e-mailed within a business day with a PRODUCTION receipt to confirm your hat details.
- Once we have your order and all necessary information – your Custom Cowboy Hat will take 6-8 weeks to hand-make. Rush orders (if able to accommodate) are charged a premium of 20%. Our standard sizing is 6 3/4 – 8. The largest hat we have made and can make is about an 8 1/4.
- Shipping anywhere in the mainland USA is $40.00. Overseas orders please add the appropriate shipping option during checkout.
QUESTIONS AND QUOTES
- E-mail us your questions and quote requests to [email protected]
- If you request a quote PLEASE e-mail us a picture of the hat you want so we know what you are talking about.
- Click for answers to our 10 most common questions
- Most hats are variations of hats we already make. There are over a hundred hats in our hat catalogue, and lots of neat stories to go along with them. Check through the catalog, and once you find a similar style to the hat you are looking for, place your order. We will confirm any changes from our standard style.
- ALL production details for your hat are confirmed within 1 BUSINESS day of your order being placed.
ORDERS CALL TOLL FREE: 1-866-207-1909
ORDER DESK and OFFICE HOURS
Monday to Friday 11.00 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern
We are always here to help, but not always at the very second you call. Please leave a message!
ALL HAT ORDERS SHIP WITH A WOODEN HAT STRETCHER.
A $30 DOLLAR VALUE. NEW HAT PURCHASES ONLY.
We recommend all customers who OWN a good hat, get a hat stretcher. It is a small cost for a tool that will help keep ALL your hats fitting properly.
As well, if you only wear your hat seldom; or have a number of hats you wear, you will find our wooden hat stretcher a valuable addition to maintaining the perfect shape of your custom cowboy hat.
Fedoras, Dress and Musician Hats
The General Town Hat - Short Crown, small brim this design goes back to the mid to late 1800s – and was a favorite hat style during the American Civil War. Striking looking hat, it looks extremely good on women.
Women! The short crown and small brim make this a great look for the fairer sex.
Ben Wade Hat