About Our Hats
Quality beaver and beaver blend cowboy hats, dress hats and fedoras from the last best west
Made to order. Made to last. Made in America.
We are a family owned and operated business, and unlike most hat and leather sellers on the Internet, we make and sell our own hats and leather, not resell someone elses, or import them from overseas. We make museum quality hats and custom leather and our hard wearing cowboy gear is renowned for its on trail performance. ~ Testimonials
What does custom mean?
Many people are between hat sizes and by making our hats to your head measurement it gives a more exact fit. As well we allow clients to switch hatbands and request different crown and brim dimensions. And finally you get your name stenciled on the sweatband inside the hat.
About Beaver Fur Felt
All our hats are made with beaver fur felt which is dense and virtually waterproof. It consists of beaver and/or rabbit/hare fur blended with felt to produce a material that lasts 5-10 times longer than wool-felt. A fine Beaver and Beaver blend fur-felt hat body holds its shape wonderfully and is the best material from which to manufacture hats.
In theory a higher beaver content should be denoted by a higher X factor – but unfortunately there is no standard within the hat making fraternity – and a lot of confusion. On the Internet few hat sellers tell you what their fur-felt is comprised of – not to mention that we have even seen straw hats promoted as 100X.
As a general rule of thumb if a hat maker just describes their hat bodies as fur-felt, chances are it’s rabbit or Hare. Hat makers who use beaver fur-felt are proud of it and will state so.
We sell 3 quality beaver blends for our fine western hats – 5X, 20X and 100X. 5X is a blend of about 5% beaver with rabbit and felt. Our 20X is 50% beaver and our 100X is pure 100% beaver fur-felt.
For an all weather hat you can’t beat a pure beaver cowboy hat. Light, stiff and fabulous looking it’ll shed what ever comes its way. And consider this: Beavers live in the water, rabbits in the dirt.
From the materials to the workmanship, you won’t find a better hat anywhere, at any price. We don’t make promises – like all real cowboys we believe that just saying a thing is promise enough.
Crown and Brim Measurements
We make custom cowboy hats so the crown and brim measurements are pretty much redundant. The hats you see online are our standard hats, if you want a specific crown and brim height we will confirm that after your order is received. We can make up to a six (6″) inch crown and a five (5″) brim.
Any hat with a brim width of more than 4 inches we must start with an over sized hat body, which adds a little to the cost. Most of our cowboy hats have a crown height between 5 and 6 inches and a brim width of 3 1/2 to 4 inches. Some hat styles with a wider brim include the Wasey, Quigley, Everett Hitch, Little J, and all our B-Movie hats.
Made to order. Made to last. Made in America by the Cowboys from The Last Best West
Our hand-made Cowboy hats ship in 6-8 weeks. Overseas buyers read this
- Know or find out your hat size (Click for instructions)
- Determine color. Click for our Color Choices. Color variances caused by individual computer monitors are beyond our control.
- We are an Internet based business. We ask that all customers have an e-mail address, so that you are able to receive and confirm the details of your hat order. Thank-you for helping us serve you better.
- We will be happy to answer your questions, when you place your phone order by calling 1.866.207.1909. We can accept Visa, Mastercard, AMX or DISCOVER cards over the phone. Once your order is received, you will be e-mailed within a business day with a Production Receipt to confirm your hat details.
- Once we have your order and all necessary information – your Custom Cowboy Hat will take 6-8 weeks to hand-make. Rush orders (if able to accommodate) are charged a premium of 20%. Our standard sizing is 6 3/4 – 8. The largest hat we have made and can make is about an 8 1/4.
- Shipping anywhere in North America is $35.00. Overseas orders please add the additional $50.00 dollars shipping during checkout.
ORDERS CALL TOLL FREE: 1-866-207-1909
ORDER DESK and OFFICE HOURS
Monday to Friday 10.00 AM to 7:00 PM Eastern
We are always here to help, but not always at the very second you call. Please leave a message!
QUESTIONS AND QUOTES
- E-mail us your questions and quote requests to
- If you request a quote PLEASE e-mail us a picture of the hat you want so we know what you are talking about.
- Click for answers to our 10 most common questions
- Most hats are variations of hats we already make. There are over a hundred hats in our hat catalogue, and lots of neat stories to go along with them. Check through the catalog, and once you find a similar style to the hat you are looking for, place your order. We will confirm any changes from our standard style.
- ALL production details for your hat are confirmed within 1 BUSINESS day of your order being placed.
ALL HAT ORDERS SHIP WITH A WOODEN HAT STRETCHER.
A $25 DOLLAR VALUE. NEW HAT PURCHASES ONLY.
Wooden Hat Stretcher FITS SIZES 6 7/8 – 8 :: ORDER DETAILS
PRICE: $25.00 :: Shipping: $13.00 :: TOTAL: $38.00
We recommend all customers who OWN a good hat, get a hat stretcher. It Is a small cost for a tool that will help keep ALL your hats fitting properly.
As well, if you only wear your hat seldom; or have a number of hats you wear, you will find our wooden hat stretcher a valuable addition to maintaining the perfect shape of your custom cowboy hat.
We constantly get asked if we can make an EXACT replica of a particular hat.
The answer is no. Realistically no one can. Our quality hats are made, formed, shaped by hand, not a machine. When anything is made by hand there are bound to be slight variations. Not even the original master hatter could make one EXACTLY the same. We make our VERSION of that hat.
Often the toughest thing in replicating a hat is the hat band. That is because they are so individual and as is mentioned in other places on the website – back in the day traditional cowboys personalized their hats with a unique hat band. Most working cowboys today still do. The prices listed are for hats as they are shown. You are free to choose any hat band we currently use for any of our hats, just let us know when your hat details are confirmed within a day of the order being placed.
All our hats are custom made one at a time. Our Master Hatter handles every step of production, unlike large hat makers who employ an assembly line to get the hats made. Even many of those hat makers who purport to making custom hats do this. One person to sew on the linings, sweat bands, another to press the hat bodies out of the hat mould, another to stitch on the bound brim and hat band. Finally the Master Hatter to fine tune the brim and crown if required. This is not the right or wrong way to make a hat – it’s just a reality of the market place.
If you want to turn out a lot of hats that’s the only way – employing an assembly line. But we don’t turn out thousands of hats a year, and by doing it all himself our Master Hatter maintains exceptional quality to keep us making one of the best hat’s on the market. OUR HAT EXPERT
All our hats are unique, one-of-a-kind, hand crafted fur-felt art. Order yours today.
Fedoras, Dress and Musician Hats
Cimarron Custom Movie Hat$305.00–$700.00 Select options
Pinkerton Custom Town Hat$305.00–$700.00 Select options
Boss of the Town Hat$285.00–$660.00 Select options
There Will Be Blood Hat$315.00–$710.00 Select options
Mister Howard Homburg Dress Hat$315.00–$710.00 Select options
Have Gun Will Travel Dress Hat$315.00–$710.00 Select options
6 Shooter Western Dress Hat$315.00–$710.00 Select options
Monty Old West Dress Hat$305.00–$710.00 Select options
Cattle Baron Cowboy Hat$305.00–$710.00 Select options
Classic Bowler Hat$290.00–$700.00 Select options
Butch Cassidy Handmade Bowler$305.00–$700.00 Select options
Jolan Custom Handmade Dress Hat$305.00–$700.00 Select options
Jesse James Purgatory Cowboy Hat$315.00–$710.00 Select options
Ben Wade$325.00–$740.00 Select options
Byron McElroy Hat$305.00–$715.00 Select options
Honky Tonk Movie Hat$315.00–$700.00 Select options
Jim West Cowboy Hat$325.00–$715.00 Select options
Dylan Custom Town Hat$305.00–$715.00 Select options
Dylan Thunder$340.00–$740.00 Select options
Rock’n Billy$315.00–$715.00 Select options